Monday, January 27, 2014

My Crafting History (Or How I Got Addicted to Knitting)

A good online friend of mine, Lizzy, recently did a blog post on her blog about her history of creativity and overall craftiness. So I decided to take a leaf out of her book, and do one of mine. Unfortunately, it's not as half as exciting as hers, but I'll do my best. It's also an opportunity for the watchers of this blog to get to know me a little better, I suppose?

I've only been knitting two years. I've been a writer for far longer, but I haven't written much in about three years. I do write in an academic sense, and also professionally (I was a member of my college's newspaper for two years of my college career).

So here's my story about how I got addicted to knitting and crochet. When I was a freshman in college, a good friend of mine thought it was a cool idea to knit together and learn. However, we both grew bored of it quickly and dropped our projects.

Several months after that happened, I began staying frequently with my boyfriend at the time. As such, I developed a close friendship with his mom, and although she was a crocheter, she taught me the basics of knitting. She also taught me how to hem pants by hand and to crochet granny squares. Later on, I bought a book about crocheting and taught the rest of the crocheting techniques I know to myself. Unfortunately, I've lost touch with her, but she was the spark that really ignited my inner creativity, and I've been knitting ever since. Most of the first things I knitted were for my boyfriend at the time and I knitted a lot of slippers at the beginning of my adventures as a knitter.

Since then, I've knitted hats, a pair of gloves, and more slippers. I also knitted a pair of gloves, an entire sweater (my biggest feat yet! not without error, though) and a stuffed animal (a dalek)!

I'm definitely too lazy tonight to post pictures, but if you want to see what I've been creating as a growing yarnster, check out my DeviantArt or, if you want to buy something, check out my Etsy... Yes I do have one! It's a bit empty at the moment but surprisingly I've legitimately made sales off of there and hope to make more, especially with my upcoming graduation and move.

I have more ideas for hats of my own personal design; these ideas will turn into fan-art hats, more than likely. I like doing fan art knitted work because a lot of people have a show or movie they're obsessed with, and personalized with that obsession makes it more special and also is great for cosplaying!

The one thing I will hopefully make someday is a Star Trek sweater uniform, probably based off of Star Trek: The Next Generation or Star Trek: Voyager. Star Trek is my jam, seriously. Would cost a lot in yarn, though, so maybe someday when I have a lot of money, I'd love to do that and wear it at cons or for a quick Halloween costume. Most recently, I've been binging on Star Trek: Voyager and it's been great (I also knit and crochet while I watch any sort of television so I can get commissions and gifts done while relaxing). It's a great show and although it's a bit campy, it's the best for downtime and doing funny commentary with my long distance bubby, my twin sister, while watching.


Have a great week, everybody!

No comments:

Post a Comment